Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Where is the snow?

I am more like a child when it comes to snow than my children are. I want it to snow. I feel cheated when snow is in the forecast then doesn't materialize, like today! It's not that I want to play in the snow, although a good sledding day is fun too. I just like the feeling of comfort I get when I know it's frigid outside and I'm inside sipping coffee, toasty warm, by my little gas fireplace.

I like seeing the snow cloud coming over the mountains and enveloping us in its cold embrace. I'll sit and watch the flakes come down, collecting into a white, shiny, blanket that in a day or two will be a sliding rink for my kids. I still like to watch the snow dance it's way to the ground. I like the big, fat, fluttering flakes that take their time on the way down. They'll get there soon enough.

We went caroling last night, the second annual caroling party hosted by friends. The night before that we did our annual Christmas walk where we bundle up and take bags of goodies to our neighbors.

Coming back inside, smelling the pine of our tree, as my feet start to thaw, before I go to warm the milk for the hot chocolate, I feel like I have it all. And in those moments, I do.

No comments: