Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Double Rainbows

Well this is a day late, but hopefully not a syllable short. I'm participating in the PerPoTues at The Little Stuff of Life.


Double Rainbows
Faded hues. Reflect
yet another, more vibrant.
Hope fades. Then returns.



We've seen a lot of these double rainbows this year. It's been a couple of weeks since this photo was taken from my back porch. We haven't had many storms as of late. Not outside anyway.


Rainbows of course are used as symbols of many things - peace, unity, a promise between God and man. The storm is winding down, the sun's face is showing. It's supposed to get better now.


I personally like storms. I love the energy and the excitement of thunder and lightening. There are just times I need that energy to come from outside of myself.
I always think of a book I used to read to my kids where one of the main characters is glum and stays glum until a good thunderstorm comes along to shake things up.


I feel like Toot.

It's the same during the winter. I like to see the snow falling, making the ground white. That means that today is going to be a little different than yesterday. And probably different than tomorrow.

But's it's also nice when the storm stops. On summer days the air is still cool, damp, and fresh. Often when it's still stormy to the east we're treated with the luminous arc of colors that makes us just stop for a moment to look. We usually share the moment. And it's quiet. Calm. For a moment.

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

Glad you joined in - and, nope, not a syllable short! ;)

Your poem brings out a lot of neat symbolism I never thought of before with double rainbows.

I like storms, too! In Arizona, this is the time of year that we get big storms and rain. When one hits, you can see people standing on porches or balconies to watch. :)

Me, You, or Ellie said...

I love storms, except when I get caught walking in them. Which has happened twice this summer. Then I feel like my umbrella, the trees near me, shoot, my head, are perfect lightning targets...

Ellie