Wednesday, June 17, 2009

How Can You Have Just One?

I was doing some Google research on motivation, as in how to obtain myself some. I used to have plenty, but I don't know where it all went. Before I got sidetracked on Lumosity, a game playing site, I read something about limiting one's goals. You know, you've probably read something similar before. Don't decide that it's time to lose weight, time to start exercising, time to write that novel bouncing around in your brain, time to start cooking gourmet cuisine, time to redecorate your abode, time to ... well you get it.


I thought about my goals. Right now I'm trying to lose about 25lbs, speed up my pace and lengthen my running time, look for a new job, learn some new technology for website development, have a more zen-like approach to my life. All things that are important to me...right now! The only problem? I cannot seem to move.


I don't know why.


I've been able to do most of these things before. I've definitely been able to lose substantial amounts of weight. Once I get going I do pretty well. I know what foods I should eat and what quantities are right for me. I even like those foods. Too bad I like sugary foods just as much, if not more. Given my age I probably can't eat as much of them as I used to be able to. I know that it's recommended to not have the dangerous foods in the house, but hey...I don't live alone and the other people don't have the same problem with them that I do. My problem is in my own personal reward system. I seem to think that making it through the day is enough to earn the reward of some m&ms and york peppermint patties. Hey they are both dark chocolate! That's sort of good isn't it? But I'm obviously not burning enough fuel to compensate for the candy.

On the website front.... I like to build websites. I like the immediate gratification of seeing the results of your work. Sometimes software systems take months or years to see the actual system work. But I cannot get myself into reading about these different methodologies and tools for building the websites. I even have 2 projects that I can work on. I'm just not getting paid for these so doing them is obviously not enough incentive, although I'm certain once they are done I'll feel great about them.



I've finally got my resume in order. That's no small task given it's been 10 years since I stopped working and needed to have a resume. I've even submitted it for a few jobs. I look at some of these jobs and I know I can do them. I used to do very similar work. But they are fairly high up the chain and I feel that being out of the loop so long is a huge detriment. But stepping into a job like that would be easier than stepping into something a little lower down, but more technical. So much of the technical stuff is different now. There seem to be so many programming and scripting languages. It used to be if you knew one employers realized you could learn another quickly. Now learning on the job doesn't appear to ever be an option. So you have to pick which language to focus on and hope there is enough demand for that one. Sigh...



Anyway...supposedly having too many goals is motivation and energy draining. Ah ha! Well that explains it! But when all of the goals are important to obtain, like I really need to lose weight and exercise while re-learning the new technologies and get past being a SAHM for over 10 years and move into the working world I find I cannot just choose one to focus on.

Maybe divvying up my day into specific chunks of time devoted to working towards my goals might help me get the discipline to accomplish something. Divvy up the goals into daily tasks, too, might help. That's the other big piece of advice, right? Small steps, baby steps,...

No comments: