Saturday, February 7, 2009

Take A Deep Breath...or Maybe Not!

There are so many people in the news that I'm not sure why I even know who they are. The octuplets mom for example. This really shouldn't be news. And what is so ironic is that people are so horrified by her story, so angry that she's trying to get book deals and tv shows and whatever...and yet if those people would just ignore her and people like her maybe we wouldn't have to hear about it.

Another celebrity news feature which has actually affected my household, resulting in the ban of Mini-Wheats and Special-K cereal products is the Michael Phelps bong toking incident. Now we wouldn't have banned these products if Kelloggs hadn't gone all indignant declaring that he isn't morally fit to represent their products. Too bad they're not that concerned about marketing Frosted Flakes and Rice Krispies, both of which are pretty devoid of nutrition, to our kids.

Now I certainly don't condone his behavior and part of me thinks that someone who knowingly behaves so stupidly in public deserves to suffer some harsh consequences. I mean really, certainly he would know that would not be viewed favorably by his endorsers and if you are riding the gravy train you better watch what you do. But it's pretty ridiculous that we feel like we know someone because he won 8 gold metals swimming or because we see a picture of him partying down. Because really. We don't. Respect his athletic talent, but don't make him something he's not. Like a hero.

1 comment:

Rita said...

Oh, I loved this, on both accounts, I am soooo with you.