Monday, February 2, 2009

So how do we know he sees his shadow anyway?


If he sees his shadow, thus predicting 6 more weeks of winter, pretty much like the calendar says, we should have snow in our forecast. Instead we're in the 50's and 60's this week. That just isn't winter!
Has there been research done on the vision of a groundhog? Do they have rods and cones? Are we sure that their little eyes see things the way we do, especially after being awakened in the middle of hibernation? I know I might not be able to see very clearly after being asleep for almost 2 months! Maybe his eyes don't process shadows. How would we know?
One thing I know I'm grateful for...I can't even imagine not seeing my shadow during the day. Even when it's cloudy there is enough light peeking out to cast a soft shadow. If I couldn't see the shadows, maybe I'd start dragging groundhogs or ground squirrels out of their holes and see what they think! At that point I guess anything for a little excitement!

1 comment:

Rita said...

I don't know, but six weeks of winter would be a gift here, lol. We get our biggest snowstorms in March and spring doesn't really hit until the end of April. Groundhog, smoundhog, I say!