Saturday, April 4, 2009

Chocolate Chip cookies heal everything

Sometimes things don't happen as expected. Disappointments happen. A lot. It's easy to go with the flow when the flow is what you want it to be. I really admire those who can make lemonade when handed a bag of lemons. I, especially admired my kids, a couple of days ago when we went on our BIG, much hyped by us sledding trip.

Rocky Mountain National Park is pretty close to where we live. There is a sledding area at an old, no longer in use, ski area. We had never been there before, but hearing that it had been part of a ski area had given me a certain idea of what it would be like. Hand me the lemons. I had expected something a bit more bowl-like and well...bigger. There were no lifts there, but I cannot imagine that there could've been room for much. But the day we went the size was the least of our concerns.

While some of the moments were like this:


Most were like:


It's hard to really enjoy what you are doing when the wind is blowing in your face almost constantly. But in spite of being blown off their feet especially in the icy spots there was a lot of this:


Well 2 out of 3 isn't too bad, I guess:

This little boy was not into lemonade that day. Even the promise of hot chocolate and marshmallows wasn't enough to appease him. At that point, anyway.

What impressed me, however, was that the other two, in spite of the lousy conditions HAD FUN. They didn't complain. And we are a family who doesn't take disappointment quietly. We know how to feel our pain. But we're also learning how to choose happiness over disappointment and not let disappoinment win. At least some of the time. Even when you end up feet over head.

And once we'd handled as much of the wind as we could we enjoyed a picnic in our van before heading back home. By the time the chocolate chip cookies were handed out everyone was laughing...and thawed out.

2 comments:

Rita said...

You win an award for even taking them there! I would not. Outdoor stuff in the snow is sooo not my thing. I'm glad they were able to enjoy themselves though, despite the disappointments.

Sarah @ BecomingSarah.com said...

I'm with Rita. It takes nerves of steel to go out in weather like that =) I'm glad that they were able to make the most of it and enjoy themselves!

And the title of this post is dead on. Chocolate chip cookies cure EVERYTHING =)