Friday, October 2, 2009

Apparently the More I Live The Less I Know

Otherwise known as the SQL-cursor-what-the-heck-is-that-moment.

In a life before I had kids I was a computer programmer. I typed cryptic words into files, compiled them, then things magically happened on computers. It was fun. I knew what I was doing. It made sense. At the time.

I had a phone interview today. It seemed like it would be promising. After all I've written thousands of lines, yes, thousands, of SQL code in my day. I remember doing it. I can even remember some of it. However during the interview I was asked to tell the woman a good thing and a bad thing about SQL cursors. Had I used them, she asked. Well...I have...but....I couldn't remember a damn thing about them. And I had to fess up, that it had been a long time since I used them that I didn't really remember them. Arrrggg... I would've been better off if I just said that I never used them because they aren't so hot as it turns out. After the interview I googled SQL cursors, looked at a few examples, and realized that I'd definitely seen them, but probably hadn't coded them myself. I was pretty sure I remembered who had used them and that they had used them quite frequently. There are a lot of things in my brain like that, work things. Things I knew. Things I can remember and pick up again very quickly if need be. But they are lurking there like distant memories and not very useful during an interview.

select * from current_life, old_life
where current_life.knowledge = old_life.skill
group by memories, age

Hopefully the result isn't null.

No comments: